Monday, April 23, 2012

Certificates


During my school days receiving a certificate either in competition, sports or in academics was celebratory news. The certificates were considered as real honour and only the best would receive it.

I remember the first certificate I received when I was in the Fifth grade for being part of the M.B.Srinivisan’s troupe for an audition at A.I.R., Chennai. For me, then, it was a great possession.

Nowadays, children are given certificates even for trivial achievements. My six year old daughter bagged her first certificate when she was 2.5 yrs old from her play home during a sports event. Though she has merit certificates in literary fest and chess tournaments still her school recently awarded a certificate for passing U.K.G !!
I feel the child, going forward, will not understand the real value of certificates.

Couple of days before, I was arranging the cup-board and was going through my certificates which I received during the school and college days. My little one sat beside and asked that how many I have – I said ‘30
certificates’.
Immediately she brought her certificates and counted and said ‘amma I have only eleven certificates. You have more’.
Poor girl was unaware of the fact that her mom has received only 30 certificates throughout her student life!!!!